10 March 2020
Media Invite: SAMWU 12th National Congress
In line with the path to renewal, rebuilding and reloading, the South African Municipal Workers’ Union (SAMWU) will be holding its 12th National Congress, under the theme “advancing the unity of municipal workers for class struggles” from the 23rd to the 26th of March 2020 at the Mmabatho Palms Hotel, Mafikeng, North West Province.
Congress is the highest decision-making body of the union, delegates will deliberate and resolve on various issues including organisational, political, financial and socio-economic. The 12th National Congress will also elect National Office Bearers who will be tasked with taking forward resolutions coming out of this congress.
Within the context of renewing the organisation, Congress will sharply focus and resolve on a way forward on issues faced by municipal workers across the country including,
• The killing of whistleblowers
• The state of the country’s municipalities
• The funding model for municipalities
• Municipal debt
• Failure by municipalities to pay workers’ salaries on time
• Failure by municipalities to pay third parties
• Dismissals of municipal workers
• Amendments to the Labour Relations Act
• Upcoming salary and wage negotiations
• Wage Curve
• Absorption of EPWP workers
• High vacancy rates in municipalities
The national leadership of COSATU, SACP, ANC, SANCO and various ministries will deliver messages of support to the Congress in the first two days being 23rd and 24th March 2020.
Members of the media are hereby invited to attend and cover the open session of the Congress which will be on the 23rd and 24th March. Kindly note that only accredited media will be allowed into the congress venue.
For registration and accreditation purposes, kindly send the following details to pap…@samwu.org.za / moha…@gmail.com
Issued by SAMWU Secretariat
National Media Officer
073 710 0356